Seiten

20.01.2017

{Review} Run - Kody Keplinger


Publisher


Title: Run
Author: Kody Keplinger
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Series: /
ISBN: 9781444932706

PublisherAmazon | Goodreads








Summary

Bo Dickinson is a girl with a wild reputation, a deadbeat dad, and an alcoholic mom. Everyone in town knows the Dickinsons are a bad lot, but Bo doesn't care what anyone thinks.
Agnes Atwood has never stayed out past ten p.m., never gone on a date and never broken any of her parents' overbearing rules. Rules that are meant to protect their legally blind daughter - but Agnes isn't quite sure what they are protecting her from.
Despite everything, Bo and Agnes become best friends. And it's the sort of friendship that runs truer and deeper than anything else.
So when Bo shows up in the middle of the night, police sirens wailing in the distance, desperate to get out of town, Agnes doesn't hesitate to take off with her. But running away and not getting caught will require stealing a car, tracking down Bo's dad, staying ahead of the authorities, and - worst of all - confronting some ugly secrets. [Publisher]

My Opinion

I was so happy, when I heard that there would be another new book by Kody Keplinger. She ist one of my favourite authors and The DUFF is one of my all time favourite books (even though I hated the movie, but that's another story for another day...). I started it with the exception to read a funny, heartwarming and entertaining novel, that makes it impossible for me to stop reading it. As sad as it is, I wasn't entirely right.

The beginning was - let's say not ideal. It's rather boring, nothing interesting happens. I didn't really get the point of the story either - or I should say the way it was told was a little bit confusing. Bo's perspective shows the current situation, Agnes' perspective shows the past, basically what led to the events of Bo's perspective. While I got slowly used to Agnes perspective, Bo's perspective seemed more ridiculous and strange than anything else. Since we didn't get to know the reasons for what is happening - they're revealed much later in Agnes' perspective - nothing makes sense. I didn't unterstand Bo's and Agnes' rather drastic decision. Really agitating was, however, that Bo kept even Agnes in the dark during the biggest parts of the story. That felt extremely unfair and she didn't seem like a good friend at all - at least not a person I would run away with.

Agnes was the character that grew on me. She is a nice and innocent girl at the beginning. During the course of events Agnes becomes 'wilder'. She ist still a very well-educated girl, but she starts to 'rebel' against the very strict rules of her over protective parents since the moment she befriends Bo. The fact that she ist legally blind makes her perspective very interesting - at least I haven't read another book yet with a legally blind person as the protagonist.
Bo is an entirely different story, though. The reader doesn't really get to know her. She keeps so many secrets - even from herself. You only get bits and pieces of her and her life, which was never really satisfying to me. That way I could never fully understand her. In my opinion she is a rather selfish person, which comes out especially at the end when some things are revealed.

Bo is a Dickinson. A family that has a very bad reputation in town. How Kody Keplinger dealt with this topic of prejudice and social exclusion is really interesting - and well done in my opinion. The reader gets to see how a reputation doesn't have to be true - it can be the complete opposite in reality. But it also shows very well what that kind of social exclusion does to the person who is excluded.
Another aspect of the story - that I absolutely loved - is that the author included a bisexual character. I feel like homosexuality is a topic that's at least sometimes discussed in (YA) literature. But bisexuality is a mostly non-spoken topic - which is sad and irritating at the same time. In my opinion it is just as normal as heterosexuality or homosexuality and should be treated as such.

I also want to mention that, even though the story isn't the most exciting one and even though I couldn't really make a connection to both of the main protagonists - I really liked Colt however -, Run is quick and easy to read. I finished it in nearly two days. That's probably due to Kody Keplinger's writing style, which is still as good as in her other books

To sum it up... Run has its positive and negative parts. It's not the most exciting novel I've ever read and the story is most of the times rather annoying. However the author deals in this book with very important topics such as social exclusion and bisexuality in a very good way, which I definitely appreciated - okay, more than just appreciated, I really loved that aspect! Kody Keplinger's writing style is quick and easy to read. Overall Run is a book that's nice when you read it - especially because of those important topics - but it's not a must-read either.

My Rating



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

 
Design by Mira Dilemma.